NCP Belarus - National Academy of Sciences of Belarus
The National Academy of Sciences of Belarus (NASB) is the highest state scientific organization of the Republic of Belarus. The National Academy of Sciences is reported to the President of the Republic of Belarus, accountable to the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus. It carries out the organization and coordination of fundamental and applied research in the Republic of Belarus.
Founded in October 1928 as the Belarusian Academy of Sciences and solemnly opened on January 1, 1929, it unites full members (academicians), corresponding members of the Academy of Sciences, other members of the General Assembly of the Academy of Sciences, honorary and foreign members of the Academy of Sciences, as well as departments of the Academy of Sciences, the apparatus of the Academy of Sciences, scientific organizations, including the scientific and practical centers of the Academy of Sciences, and other legal entities subordinated to the Academy of Sciences. The Academy of Sciences employs about 16 thousand people, whose average age is less than 47 years. There are about 5,507 researchers, 387 doctors of science and 1,611 candidates of science, including 207 professors and 518 associate professors among them.
NASB has the following main objectives:
- scientific support of the economic, social and state-legal development of the Republic of Belarus, its culture, rational use and environmental protection;
- organizing and coordinating fundamental and applied scientific research carried out by all subjects of scientific activity, conducting basic and applied scientific research, developing major areas of the natural, technical, humanitarian, social sciences and arts in order to obtain new knowledge about man, society, nature and artificially created objects, increasing the scientific, technical, intellectual and spiritual potential of the Republic of Belarus;
- implementation of scientific and methodological support for the organization of fundamental and applied scientific research carried out by all subjects of scientific activity;
- identification of fundamentally new ways of scientific and technological progress, participation in the development of recommendations on the use of the achievements of domestic and world science in practice;
- ensuring the development of science in the Republic of Belarus, etc;
NASB in accordance with its main tasks:
- analyzes the state and predicts trends in the development of science and technology, the economy, the social and legal sphere, the level of technology;
- defines the main activities of scientific organizations and other legal entities subordinated to the Academy of Sciences, manages their activities through its regulation and implementation of the powers of the owner with the analysis of the effectiveness of these organizations and the development of proposals for its improvement;
- conducts fundamental, including oriented fundamental, and applied research and development;
- analyzes the level of fundamental and applied research and development in scientific organizations and institutions of higher education, prepares proposals to improve the efficiency of these research and development etc.
Having a holding structure, NASB includes 111 organizations of various organizational and legal forms and operating in various fields, including maritime investigations.
Being NCP on Transport for FP7 and HORIZON 2020, NASB has been involved in ERA-NET MARTEC II and ERA-NET Cofund MarTERA