Meyer Werft shipyard group
MEYER WERFT is a company with tradition, which started operations in Papenburg on the Ems in 1795. For more than 200 years ships of most different types have been built by the experts working for this family-owned company.
In 1975 the yard moved its premises to a location on the periphery of Papenburg. Here, cruise ships were built for the first time. As early as in 1986 the world-famous Homeric was launched. Today, she is last cruise ship that was classically launched.
To be able to compete with other shipyards on an international scale, production engineering has been permanently improved. Among others, a covered building dock was built in 1987, the biggest one worldwide at that time, and was extended by 100 m in the early 1990s. To this day, the most demanding passenger- and cruise ships are created in these facilities.
But MEYER WERFT’S development continues: In 2001 a second, even bigger covered building dock was decided. It was followed by new pre-fabrication halls. Above all else, ready for series production laser welding technology is used in these facilities. Meanwhile also the second building dock has been extended. Another 120 m were added so that the hall now has an overall length of 504 m.
Nowadays MEYER WERFT's production premises count among the most modern ones in the shipbuilding industry.